A hit and run accident is a type of motor vehicle accident. This is where the at-fault driver leaves the scene of the accident. This is before police arrive and without providing their insurance or contact information. This type of accident can happen after a car crashes into a parked car, another moving vehicle, a pedestrian or cyclist. But it can also be a single-vehicle accident that involves property damage.

What Happens if the Other Driver Flees the Scene of the Accident?

If the other driver involved in an accident flees the scene, it can complicate the situation and have various legal and practical implications.

There are many reasons that someone may flee the scene of an accident. Regardless of the reason, the injured party has the right to pursue a settlement. If the driver who fled the scene is never identified, you may need to file a claim. This is done so under your uninsured motorist coverage or your Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Your insurance company will be able to tell you your options. A car accident lawyer with experience in hit and run accidents, can be a relentless advocate. All in order to ensure that you receive the full and fair settlement you deserve.

What to Do if You are the Victim of a Hit and Run Accident

If you are involved in a hit and run accident, the best thing to do is try to get a picture of the fleeing vehicle and license plate. Next, call the police and write some notes with any identifying characteristics that you can remember. Such as the color, make and model of the vehicle, a partial license plate number, what the driver looked like, etc. After taking down your notes, get pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the scene where the accident occurred.

Once you have spoken with the police, call your insurance company to let them know that you were involved in a car accident. If you were not rushed off for emergency medical care, then you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for a medical evaluation.

When hit and run accidents cause debilitating injuries, the injured party may be entitled to a larger settlement. Possibly larger than their car insurance company is offering. Look for an accident lawyer who has the experience to handle all aspects of your injury claim. They do everything from interviewing witnesses, gathering documents, negotiation, and pre-litigation to court trial if necessary. At Tario & Associates, we provide FREE case evaluations, home and hospital visits, and no attorney fees unless you recover damages. Do not delay, contact the most experienced practicing car accident attorney Mount Vernon has today! There is a statute of limitations on filing your traffic accident injury claim so do not delay.

Experience Matters

Since 1979, the Mount Vernon accident lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. have helped thousands of injured people in Skagit County, Whatcom County, Island County, and Snohomish County to receive fair compensation and just treatment for their injuries. We have the resources, experience, and knowledge necessary to represent our car crash clients. Our network of well-regarded specialists in accident reconstruction, psychology, and engineering serves as an invaluable resource when determining liability and calculating the severity and the costs related to your personal injury. With the Tario & Associates, P.S. Mount Vernon injury lawyers on your side, you will have the experience and knowledge you need to recover the maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.

If you need help with a traffic accident claim, you can count on our Mount Vernon car accident lawyers!

How do I know if I should pursue a personal injury claim for my hit and run accident?

The only way to know if you have a case is to meet with one of our experienced personal injury associates for a FREE consultation. A dedicated car accident lawyer at Tario & Associates, P.S. will walk you through your claim and fight for the compensation you deserve, should we agree to work together.

Should I try to settle my auto accident claim on my own?

An insurance adjuster works for the insurance company, not you. If the at-fault insurance adjuster has already presented you with a proposed settlement, you need to know whether it is fair. Also if your claim is worth more, or if you should hire an attorney to force the insurance company to pay you the full and fair compensation you deserve. During your initial free consultation, we can help you determine the best way to proceed. It is not unusual for our attorneys to be able to achieve monetary recoveries five to twenty times what an insurance company has offered.

How much do I have to pay to pursue a hit and run accident claim?

There are no upfront costs or fees paid by our clients to pursue an injury claim. We provide representation on a contingency fee basis for personal injury cases. While you will not incur any attorney fees if you do not win your case, Washington State law requires clients to reimburse the law firm. This is for out-of-pocket expenses. Our firm advances out-of-pocket costs for our injury clients. And does not require our clients to pay any of these costs upfront. When cases are concluded with a monetary recovery, our firm is repaid for the out-of-pocket costs we have advanced. Along with a percentage of the settlement.

If you or a loved one was injured in a hit and run accident, contact a car accident attorney as soon as you are able. The injury lawyer can discuss your legal rights, and determine appropriate next steps.

Related Posts