According to data from, in 2020, 607 child passengers ages 12 and younger were killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States and more than 63,000 were injured. Of the children who were killed in a crash, 38 percent were not wearing seat belts. Parents and caregivers should always ensure that their children are properly buckled every time they ride in a vehicle. Injury to a child is unimaginable but consistently occurs throughout each day in the US.

As a parent, there is perhaps nothing worse than your child getting injured. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident with your child, there are some steps you can take to ensure the best possible outcome.

What To Do if Your Child is Injured in a Car Accident

Assess the situation and call for help

The first thing to do is make sure you and your child are safe from any ongoing danger by assessing the scene. Next, call 9-1-1 to report the accident and request medical assistance, if needed.

Provide immediate First Aid

If you have basic first aid knowledge, administer any necessary first aid to stabilize your child’s condition before professional help arrives.

Follow medical advice

Once medical professionals are on the scene, or your child has been transported to a medical facility, follow their instructions and recommendations for treatment. Even if your child does not require emergency medical care, they should be seen by their GP for an accident assessment.

Gather information

If it’s safe to do so, collect information from the scene of the accident, including the names and contact information of other parties involved, witnesses, and the attending law enforcement officer.

Document the scene

Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to vehicles, road conditions, and any contributing factors. These photos could be useful for insurance claims or legal proceedings.

Notify your insurance company

Contact your auto insurance provider to inform them of the accident. They will start the claims process for you. Do not admit fault for the accident or accept any settlement offer at this time.

Seek legal advice

If the accident was caused by another driver’s negligence, we recommend consulting with a local car accident lawyer. This is to understand your legal rights and options. Remember, in Washington State, you have three years to file an accident claim. But the sooner you contact a personal injury lawyer, the sooner they can begin guiding you.

Notify the school and others

If your child’s injuries are severe and they will be missing school or other activities, inform relevant parties. This includes the school administration and the sports coaches, etc.

Document medical treatment

Keep detailed records of all medical treatment. Including but not limited to hospital visits, doctor appointments, medications, and any expenses related to your child’s injuries.

Emotional support

Both you and your child might be dealing with emotional trauma after the accident. Ensure they receive the emotional support they need, whether through family, friends, or professional counselors.

Follow-up care

Continue following medical advice and attending follow-up appointments as recommended by healthcare professionals.

Remember, every situation is unique, and the steps you should take might vary based on the severity of the injuries, the circumstances of the accident, and the personal injury laws in your state. It’s essential to consult with professionals who can provide personalized guidance in your specific situation.

Contact a car accident lawyer today!

A car accident lawyer can help you recover a full and fair settlement for the injuries you sustained in a car accident with no up-front costs to you. We know the sneaky strategies used by insurance companies to get injured people to agree to settlements far below what they are worth. Our clients typically end up with a settlement or jury award that is five to ten times larger than they could have negotiated on their own. We have been representing people injured in Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. Contact the experienced and hard-working personal injury lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Mount Vernon, WA today for a FREE consultation!

Related Posts