Car accidents are a fact of life. At our law firm, we help people fight insurance companies for the full and fair compensation that they deserve. Our car accident law firm receives many car accident questions. We hope you find this Q & A helpful.

Top 10 Car Accident Questions Answered

Should I call the police after a minor car accident?

In most cases, it is advisable to call the police after a car accident. Even if it is a minor one. The police will provide an official record of the accident and can make a liability determination. Which is helpful when dealing with insurance claims or any legal issues that may arise later. In some cases, the other party involved may not be cooperative or may provide false information. Having the police present can help ensure that accurate information is exchanged and documented.

Do I need to take pictures at the accident scene?

Now that most people have cell phones with picture-taking abilities. This makes it fairly easy to take pictures at the accident scene – and it is a good idea to do so. Pictures of damage to the vehicles and the scene of the accident can be very useful when dealing with insurance claims.

Should I contact my insurance company after a car accident?

You are most likely required to report a car accident to your car insurance company, under the terms of your policy. In Washington State, you are also required to report any accident with $1,000 or more damage to any one unit and/or injury to any person within four days of the accident.

What information should I exchange with the other driver(s) involved in the accident?

Here is the information you should collect from the other driver(s) involved in the accident:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Insurance company
  • Telephone number
  • Driver’s license number
  • License plate number
  • Make, model, color and year of vehicle

Should I see a doctor even if I don’t feel injured after a car accident?

Even if you don’t feel injured after a car accident, it is important to schedule a visit with your primary care physician to get a physical exam. The doctor may uncover soft tissue damage or other injuries that you haven’t noticed yet. Going to the doctor after the collision will also show the insurance company that you sought all necessary medical care.

How long do I have to file a car accident claim?

In Washington State, people injured in a car accident generally have three years from the date of the accident to file a car accident claim. Still, it is not a good idea to wait until the end of that window to start a claim. A car accident lawyer can provide support and advice through the claims process, which can be especially helpful in the days and weeks following the accident.

What compensation am I entitled to after a car accident?

Compensation for car accidents is generally provided for property damage, pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and disability but the amounts will vary depending on many factors including local laws and regulations, the circumstances of the accident, the extent of your injuries, and the insurance policies involved.

Will my car insurance rates increase after an accident?

Your car insurance rates may increase after a car accident, depending on your policy and whether you were at-fault for the accident. Speak to your insurance representative for information specific to your situation.

What should I do if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?

If the other driver doesn’t have car insurance or takes off after the accident without exchanging insurance information, your best bet is to file an uninsured motorist claim. You will be entitled to compensation up to the limit of your uninsured driver coverage.

Should I call a car accident lawyer for help with my accident claim?

Even if you feel that your car accident claim is straightforward, it is a good idea to consult with a personal injury lawyer to confirm the true value of your claim. This way you can avoid accepting a lowball settlement. If your accident was more complicated, such as a multi-vehicle accident or the other driver is refusing to accept liability, a car accident lawyer can be an invaluable partner to ensuring that you get fair compensation for your losses and injuries.

Contact a car accident lawyer today!

A car accident lawyer can help you recover a full and fair settlement for the injuries you sustained in a car accident with no up-front costs to you. We know the sneaky strategies used by insurance companies to get injured people to agree to settlements far below what they are worth. Our clients typically end up with a settlement or jury award that is five to ten times larger than they could have negotiated on their own. We have been representing people injured in Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. Contact the experienced and hard-working personal injury lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Mount Vernon, WA today for a FREE consultation!

Related Posts