Motorcycle Accident FAQs

What should I do after being in a motorcycle accident?

If you are involved in a motorcycle accident take pictures of your injuries and the damage to your motorcycle if you are able. Otherwise, seek medical attention right away. Keep copies of medical records, bills and expenses related to your injuries and contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you understand the value of your accident claim.

I was injured in a motorcycle accident but I wasn’t wearing a helmet. Am I still able to recover damages from the at-fault driver?

Not wearing a helmet does not prevent an injured motorcycle rider from recovering damages but it can reduce the amount of the settlement if an expert witness can show that your failure to wear a helmet made your injuries worse.

Should I hire a lawyer if I was in a motorcycle accident?

It is wise to contact a local accident lawyer if you are in a motorcycle accident. He or she can assess the cause of the accident (fault), the severity of your injuries and the amount that your claim is worth. If the insurance company has offered a settlement it is a good idea to have it reviewed by a personal injury attorney; insurance companies will offer the lowest settlement possible. If your attorney negotiates a settlement on your behalf you pay only a portion of the settlement and consultations are free.

How much is my motorcycle accident worth?

Like all accident cases, there is no set worth. When determining the value of a claim, a motorcycle accident lawyer will consider many factors including the severity of your injuries, the cost of your medical bills and other damages such as lost wages. Motorcycle accident cases vary in value from a few thousand dollars to more than a million dollars.

How long do I have to file an accident claim after my motorcycle accident?

Personal injury claims in Washington State must generally be filed within 3 years from the date of the accident. Talk to a motorcycle accident attorney to discuss statute of limitations for your case.

I did not have motorcycle insurance when I was hit by a driver. Can I still sue the driver for damages?

Yes, you can still sue the at-fault driver if you did not have motorcycle insurance.

A car cut in front of my motorcycle and drove off but caused me to crash my motorcycle. Can I file an uninsured motorist claim?

Yes. Motorcyclists hit by an unidentified driver can file a claim to recover damages under their own uninsured motorist policy.

What if I was partially at fault for my motorcycle accident?

In Washington State, fault can be shared in a personal injury case. Damages are awarded based on contributory fault law which says that you may only be awarded damages proportionate to the percentage of fault contributed by the defendant and nothing for the amount of fault that you contributed. For example, if you were 10% at fault and your damages were $100,000, you would receive only $90,000.

We look forward to answering all of your questions and speaking with you about your legal needs. When you call our office or send us a message through our consultation request form we will provide a FREE initial consultation and case evaluation. Our attorneys offer home and hospital visits with evening and weekend appointments available.